Carer’s Allowance

This can be claimed by an informal (unpaid) carer – so usually a partner or family member –

who is providing care for a person in receipt of the Attendance Allowance or

Daily Living (or Care) component of PIP or DLA.

To qualify,

the carer must be providing at least 35 hours of care per week and have a

weekly income at or below £128 after deductions. People who are in full-time

education or studying more than 21 hours per week will not be entitled to claim

Carer’s Allowance.

Each of the

above benefits can carry entitlement to Premiums or Elements. These are added

amounts to other benefits that are means-tested. Individual circumstances will

apply, so entitlement is not automatic.

A person

cannot claim Carer’s Allowance if they person they are caring for is in receipt

of the Severe Disability Premium.

A Carer may

still qualify for additional amounts on means-tested benefits if weekly income

is too high for entitlement to Carer’s Allowance.

The above is general information only. Please get in touch if you would like to discuss


 If you are thinking about claiming a higher

rate of benefit to that which you are currently receiving because your

circumstances have changed, then it is important to check matters in more depth

and/or seek advice before proceeding. This is because when the Department for

Work and Pensions are asked to review a person’s benefit entitlement, one of

four things will happen:

It will stay the same

It will go up

It will go down

It will be withdrawn

Translate »